Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Roman Lee Series "Crimson Rows" "Protection?" "You've sold your soul to the Devil and now you want a refund?"

The Roman Lee Series
 
Crimson Rows
 
 
 
A tiny electronic crackle.  Immediately I grabbed him by the back of the collar pulling him away from the table as far as his restraints would go digging into his skin.  Tearing his shirt I grabbed the top of the listening device along with a bit of chest hair ripping it away from his skin. 
Dropping it on the concrete floor I placed my heel over the top of it, twisting back and forth.
“You have about less than a minute Jeffrey to tell me everything or tonight’s probably your last meal.”
“Got nuthin to say.”
“They’re going to kill you.  You're being used.  Thirty seconds Jeffrey.  I turned off the jailhouse microphone in here too.  Twenty seconds.”
He started looking around the room up into the corners.  His legs were bouncing up and down.  Now he was nervous.
“They thought you would tear me up in here.  I told em I would take the beating if they could get me outta here.”
“Who?”
“I dunno, they came and pulled me out of my cell.  The lights were out in the middle of the night. They were dressed in suits, serious looking dudes.”
“The shotgun?”
“It was my Uncle’s, he used it for hunting. I stole it from him one weekend.”
“My family?”
“They told me what to say I swear.”
“We’ll talk again later Jeffrey.”
“Wait, what about me?”
“What about you?”
“You said they’re going to kill me.  You gotta protect me now.”
“Protect you?  You sold your soul to the devil and now you want a refund?”
“But, I told you everything.”
“Don’t worry, I’d much rather watch you suffer the rest of your miserable life behind a tall set of walls then you get out from under the weight of this so easy with a quick death.”
I walked out into the hallway and turned the corner as I heard a set of footsteps fast approaching.  The guard buzzed me out and I hit the street.  A black Chevrolet Impala was parked near a corner wedged in between two cars across the street.  I had noticed the two sitting, watching me, when I came out of the station.  Waiting for a car to pass I jogged across the street diagonally toward them.  The engine started.  They were parked tight.  Running faster I lept onto the hood of their car.  Looking up at me the driver put it back in park.  I dropped down on the sidewalk next to the passenger’s window.  It was already rolled down.
“I thought I smelled sewer, but it was must have been your shitty cologne drifting out of the car.”
“Just doing our job same as you Detective.”
“I’m sure.  I heard a rumor there was going to be chaperones.   So listen, you two can let go of each others dicks for now,  it’s going to be a busy day.  Play time is over time to go to work.”
“Fuck you Lee.”
“I think you need to replace your mic, it kind of got trampled on.”

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment